Re: need help with sed

Hello,

it is a normal feature because your regex works on only one caracter ':' and not all. You should use 'g' as 'global' modifyer to do what you want :

echo 2008:04:23 | sed 's/://g'

Regards

wwp a écrit :
Hello Guillaume,

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008 13:58:29 +0200 Guillaume <guillaume chardin gmail com> wrote:

Hi,

When I run this command:
     echo  2008:04:23 | sed 's/://'
The result is
     200804:23

I expect to have this :
     20080423

What is wrong with my very simple regexp  ':' why all occurence of the
char ':' are not deleted ?

its make me crazy, can someone help me ?

Thanks

For this exact same purpose - removing all occurrences of some specific
char(s) - you could have used `tr`, like in:

# echo 2008:04:23 | tr -d :

Regards,