on-access virus scan

Marcel Janssen korgull at home.nl
Sat Mar 1 14:11:11 UTC 2008

On Saturday 01 March 2008, Tim wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-03-01 at 11:07 +0100, Marcel Janssen wrote:
> > I would like to know how I can best configure on-access virus scanning
> > on Fedora 7 & 8. I found dazuko, but wonder if this is the only way to
> > get on-access scanning done.
>
> It's generally considered unnecessary.  Perhaps if you outlined
> what/what you wanted to scan (e.g. you're running a file or mail server
> for some Windows clients), someone might suggest some ways to do what
> you want.

I have several samba shares to which multiple windows host connect.
What I want to prevent is that one windows host can write a virus/worm to my
samba shares so that other windows host can be at potential risk.
I'm in a work environment where some users have local admin permissions
(hardware/software developers). These users need full control of their
stations at all times. Closing down permissions of these users is not an
option. This is a risk, and therefore I like to protect my shares a bit
better than currently is done.

Regards,
Marcel