How to stop permissions on /dev/snd devices being changed?

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Tue Mar 4 02:17:04 UTC 2008

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM, Chris G <cl at isbd.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 05:13:41PM -0600, Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
>>  > Chris G wrote:
>>  >> I seem to need to give all users permissions on the devices
>>  >> in/dev/snd.
>>  >>
>>  >> However if I set the permissions to 0666 they revert to 0660 when I
>>  >> reboot the system.  How do I get the more open permissions to stick?
>>  >>
>>  > What version of Fedora are you running? It makes a difference in how we
>>  > answer your question. If FC6, and I believe F7, they are controlled by
>>  > console.perms. For F8, you would probably have to add a udev rule to set
>>  > them - I have not checked for a rule for setting sound devices...
>>  >
>>  Yes, sorry, it's Fedora 8 where I have the problem.  My previous
>>  Fedora 7 seemd to be OK.
>
> I think I'm in a similar situation.  I often have two users logged in
> simultaneously (:0 and :1), and I'd like both to be able to access
> sound-related devices.  In the past I fiddled with console.perms, but
> I guess that's not the way F8 works.  I'm curious if my occasional
> inability to start the pulseaudio volume control ("connection
> refused", I think) is related.  (I just rebooted, and now it works for
> me.  I'm the first user to login [on :1], though.  Maybe now it won't
> work for :0 users?)
>
> Reid

 From what you both are reporting, and the fact that the sound
devices are owned by root instead of a user, I suspect that
pulseaudio is controlling who has access to the sound devices
something like console.perms did before. From what I have read in
the man pages, it sounds like HAL talks to the pulseaudio daemon and
tells it who can play sound. You may be able to change the
configuration so that more then one user can use pluseaudio at the
same time... (Don't ask me how - I have nto gotten that far.)

Mikkel