Best way to upgrade from FC5 to FC8

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 13:25:42 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-04 at 14:11 +0100, Cassian Luppu wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I´m using FC5 in one of my desktop computers. Yes, I do know it is
> pretty old-fashioned, and I´m about to upgrade to FC8.

It's F8 actually. The "core" terminology was dropped after FC6.

> I just wanted to ask you guys what is the best way to get it running
> with the less problems possible, I know I´ll have to face some of
> then.
>
> I guess that setting up the FC8 repositories and yum upgrade wouldn´t
> be the best way, would it?

I'd advise against it. Fedora is not guaranteed to work even doing an
upgrade from one version to the next (I've done it but frequently I find
myself doing a fresh install after a while). It's almost certainly
easier to back up your user data (/home, /etc, /usr/local, ...) and
install from scratch. Take a list of your RPMs as well ('rpm -qa --last
> LIST') just in case.

poc