I know - I know -- Where to find kernel sources for ida_ioctl.h in FC6 and FC8

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Tue Mar 4 16:34:04 UTC 2008

Ric Moore wrote, On 03/04/2008 01:57 AM:
> On Mon, 2008-03-03 at 20:48 -0600, Ben Kamen wrote:
>> Todd Zullinger wrote:
>>> If you need to get a fully exploded kernel source tree, you can follow
>>> the steps at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Docs/CustomKernel to do so.
>>> Hopefully that will help get you what you need to build the driver you
>>> need.
>> That's what I was looking for thanks...
>
> That's the one I found, it's scary. It's nothing like: make menuconfig,
> make, make modules-install after checking out a few links for correction
> and a make mrproper, is it??

Actually, it is exactly like running make menuconfig, make and make rpm if
make rpm would cause the initrd to be built.
That is, it is what you remember wrapped by all the complexity of RPM:
You now have to install an SRPM instead of untaring a kernel tree,
you now have to play games to get a source tree you can do a config in (make
mrproper becomes rpmbuild -bp --target=`uname -m` kernel.spec)
you now have to change the config and then put it where rpm expects (insert
the step cp .config ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES/config-<arch>)
and you have to ask rpm to build the set for you (make install becomes
rpmbuild -bb --target=`uname -m` kernel.spec)

> Has the world has passed me by ...WHOOSH!
> or am I'm on that bobsled ride on greased rails straight to the Hell of
> Old Age??

Nope they just added more layers to confuse us all, starting to sound like the
government. 8)

--
Todd Denniston