Burning a kernel

MK halfcountplus at intergate.com
Wed Mar 5 16:47:43 UTC 2008

ric moore brags:

>> ps. you are not BURNING a new kernel, you are COMPILING one.  but
>> call
>> it "rolling" and you might be ok
>
> heheheh, back when I would install the latest and greatest on my 486
> DX2/66, rolling did not have the eclat of the word "burning" as it
> took forever, made my head hurt and my eyes burn from watching it.
> But, back when, the speed up was noticeable when I did that.

wow, thanks for this piece of etymology, i thot you waz just ignorant.
i do seem to remember watching text scRoll for hours, it seemed cool at
the time and gave me some to eat noodles.

> What's got me into a
> kernel "compiling" mood is that playing a movie DVD and my system
> talking to the serial port to my stinkin' modem ain't cutting it.
> Damn, you would think an Athlon64-3200, running a 32bit OS with 2 gigs
> of memory could handle it. It happens whether I use Xine, VLC or any
> other player.

well ric i am running a P4 with 440 megs, downloading (thru a serial
port), writing this in balsa, and ignoring "dodgeball" on xine plus a
few other things and everything runs peachy with less than half the
memory used and the CPU @ 30-70%.  I almost always run root.  I'd be
pissed off if i couldn't customize the kernel, it may bear some
responsibilities.