Konqueror vs Firefox

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Mar 6 20:40:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-03-06 at 19:37 +0000, Mike -- EMAIL IGNORED wrote:
> On my FC7 and FC8 boxes, I have both Konqueror and
> Firefox. Which should I use? Why?

How long is a piece of string?  What you've asked is almost like Gnome
versus KDE questions.

I haven't used Konqueror for ages, but when I did, I found that it
supported far less WWW technologies than Firefox did.  Or, supported
them far worse.  e.g. Page styling, scripting, etc.  Try them both, and
see what you think of them against each other.

I have a strong aversion to applications that mix file managing and web
browsing (i.e. Konqueror), like Microsoft did with Explorer.  You're
never quite sure how many of the functions of one can be abused by the
other.

While it's not open-source, I have a slight preference for Opera over
Firefox.  I find Firefox's propensity for jamming up and refusing you to
let you do anything while some tabbed content is downloading, or
rendering, to be extremely annoying.  e.g. You're reading some page,
middle click on a link to load it up in the background in another tab,
and while that's happening you're stuck, unable to scroll through the
thing you were currently reading.

 important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.