usb_serial howto?

Morgan Read mstuff at read.org.nz
Sat Mar 8 21:52:13 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Morgan Read wrote:
>> Hello Folks
>>
>> I need usb_serial module loaded, but it doesn't seem to be available?

>> Hmm, so I can remove usb_storage but can't insert it again - perhaps
>> the same is true for usb_serial?  What should I use to load
>> usb_storage and usb_serial?  Am I missing something obvious?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Morgan.
> The problem is that insmod need the path and the file name, or needs to
> be run in the directory containing the module, and the full file name.
> (usb_serial.ko) In most cases, you are better off using modprobe instead
> - it only needs the module name, and will take care of loading any other
> modules the module you are trying to load needs.
>
> It is like the difference between using rpm to install a package, or
> using yum to install it.

Hi Mikkel

Thanks for following up - this is what I get with modprobe (which leads
to the question: what do I yum install to get usb_serial?).

[root at morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_serial
FATAL: Module usb_serial not found.
[root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root at morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
[root at morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_storage
[root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root at morgansmachine ~]# rmmod usb_storage
[root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
[root at morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_storage
[root at morgansmachine ~]# lsmod | grep usb
usb_storage            73601  0
scsi_mod              120013  5 usb_storage,sg,sr_mod,libata,sd_mod
[root at morgansmachine ~]# modprobe usb_serial
FATAL: Module usb_serial not found.
[root at morgansmachine ~]#

I seem to have usb_storage installed (and working fine) but not
usb_serial?  Any ideas how I go about getting it?  Or, is it somewhere
and modprobe doesn't know where for some reason?

Regards,
Morgan.

--
Getting errors: "There are problems with the signature" (or similar)?
Update your system by installing certificates from CAcert Inc, see here:

Morgan Read
NEW ZEALAND
<mailto:mstuffATreadDOTorgDOTnz>

fedora: Freedom Forever!
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Overview

"By choosing not to ship any proprietary or binary drivers, Fedora does
differ from other distributions. ..."
Quote: Max Spevik
        http://interviews.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=06/08/17/177220

RMS on fedora: