Help revert from KDE4

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:13:17 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-09 at 21:04 +0200, Axel Thimm wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 09, 2008 at 01:08:52PM -0400, Todd Zullinger wrote:
> > R. G. Newbury wrote:
> > > You are apparently right about dev not being enabled by default. It
> > > is not on this laptop and most assuredly not changed from the
> > > default on the desktop machine which got screwed.
> >
> > That's good.  The question then is "where are you getting kde4
> > packages that replace kde3 on anything other than rawhide?"
> >
> > I think you should post the output of "yum repolist" so we can see
> > what repos you have enabled.
> >
> > > As to 'pretty stupid admin practice', well gee, (said he, chuckling
> > > too) it was faac or faad or lame or some such which I was trying to
> > > install so that the configure for mplayer would not barf. Those are
> > > atrpm rpms, so "please forgive me" for not expecting that I would
> > > get a whole new desktop too....for free!!! while I was looking
> > > elsewhere.
> >
> > Okay, adding atrpms to the mix can surely complicate your life a bit.
> > If you enable atrpms you can end up pulling in more than you want.
>
> Please don't simply discourage people from using a repo w/o checking
> whether this issue has anything to do with their problem. There is
> nothing from kde4 in ATrpms, I think the OP was angered about wanting
> to update/install something completely irrelevant to kde and he got a
> kde4 upgrade w/o him noticing due to using yum -y. But that's just the
> way yum update works.
>
> > I'd recommend disabling it by default and then selectively enabling it
> > at the command line when you want to install a specific package from
> > there.
>
> No, please don't. If you do that, then better don't use the repo at
> all. This practice leads to phantom bugs that people then consider
> being caused by ATrpms which is not correct.
> --

Sorry to insert an OT question, but I've been trying to fetch xmltv from
ARpms for the last day or so, and I keep getting:

http://dl.atrpms.net/fc8-i386/atrpms/stable/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno
14] HTTP Error 404: Not Found
Trying other mirror.
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository:
atrpms. Please verify its path and try again

Is this an error with my repo config or is there a real problem?

poc