Can't type passwords while executing commands while in Terminal

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Mon Mar 10 07:52:36 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:44:10 +0100
Fusioneko <no-reply-gw at fcp.surfsite.org> wrote:

> I wonder if anyone else would know how to fix this problem, as you see. I have this problem. I'm attempting to run a command called 'vncpasswd' which forces me to type the password into a field that well I can't type in. It's locked. The same applies if I try running 'su' which is often used to grant the user root access, or access as another user.

Neither the vncpasswd command or the su command will show you the password as
you type it.  This is to prevent someone from reading what you type over your
shoulder, i.e. a security measure.

However, even though you can't see what you type on the screen, it is still
being recorded and it still works.  Just type your passwords as required and
hit the enter key and all will be well.