Installing GRUB as the MBR on an ext3 formatted drive using winxp?

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Mon Mar 10 23:49:05 UTC 2008

Gareth Marsh wrote:

> I'm attempting a medialess install so I would prefer a solution that can
> be executed from within xp.
>
> Basically I just need to install GRUB under xp but can't find anyway to do
> it. There's an app called grubinstall but that installs grub to an ntfs
> partition and there's also something called wingrub but I'm having a
> little trouble using it (at boot it says it cannot find grbldr and it
> doesn't create a grub.conf file).

I never heard of anyone running grub with only Windows XP on the system.

In any case, if you did manage to install grub under XP,
it is not clear to me how you would then install Linux.
All the Linux installations I know actually use a Linux system -
either on CD or computer - for the installation.

When you say "medialess" do you exclude CDs?
If you allow CDs I would try the KDE Live CD.
If you exclude CDs but have another Linux system
I would try PXE.

--
Timothy Murphy
tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366