Install FC8 over HTTP

Mark C. Allman mcallman at allmanpc.com
Tue Mar 11 16:39:52 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 11:49 -0400, Devon Harding wrote:
> I remember RHL 9 supported installing over http.  How can this be done
> with FC8?  I see the option for FTP/HTTP, but it ask for and address.
> Is there a howto on this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> -Devon
> --

As I remember it, you specify a server and a path.  The server is one of
the mirror sites, and the path is the directory on the mirror to where
the "repodata" directory is located.

For example, on the "University of Nebraska Lincoln" mirror for an i386
install:
    server: mirror.unl.edu
    path: /fedora/linux/releases/8/Fedora/i386/os/
I went to fedoraproject.org, selected "get fedora," selected "see all
mirrors" down nearer the bottom of the page, and used the area at the
top right of the mirrors list to only show me F8 i386 mirrors.

BTW, as I recall, there's some issue with the first slash on the path
name.  Either it's required or you must exclude it--I can't remember
which.  Also, I had a problem with http and just used ftp.

-- Mark C. Allman, PMP
-- Allman Professional Consulting, Inc.
-- www.allmanpc.com, 617-947-4263

BusinessMsg -- the secure, managed, J2EE/AJAX Enterprise IM/IC solution