Install question #2 - disk order and video mode

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue Mar 11 20:50:50 UTC 2008

The FC8 install seems to assign drive identifiers in some random order
instead of BIOS order. I thought that was fixed back around 2.6.17, but
it certainly isn't the case AFAIK, if I boot the rescue CD I get one set
of assignments (not BIOS order), and if I boot I get another. Needless
to say this makes getting a bootable install nearly impossible.

The video is also not set properly during (attempted) boot, rescue and
install use VESA mode, attempted boot uses something else, but since the
system doesn't come up all I can tell is that the mode is wrong, but
barely readable.

I went back and reinstalled FC1, the original Linux on the box, and it
still works just fine. Disk order is BIOS order, video is VESA or some
other functional mode, all works.

Any comments on any of this? I have tried the obvious video= things as
boot options.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>
  "Woe unto the statesman who makes war without a reason that will still