NetworkManager 0.7 and static IP - how ?!?

Rick Bilonick rab at nauticom.net
Tue Mar 11 21:07:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-11 at 13:31 +0000, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Rick Bilonick wrote:
>
> > Someone is confused here. I have no control over the ethernet wired
> > network I want to connect to. It wants me to use a fixed IP address in
> > order to be able access certain things available on the network (they
> > are NOT available if I let DHCP assign a random IP address to my
> > laptop).
>
> I can't help with your problem,
> but am slightly puzzled about your scenario,
> which seems to come up quite often in discussions about NM.
>
> Surely very few SysAdmins will allow strange laptops
> to be attached to their ethernet LANs?
> This would be an invitation to disaster,
> at least anywhere inhabited by CompSci students.
>
> My experience is that you have to apply in triplicate,
> with your MAC address and your company ID.
>

> --
> Timothy Murphy
> e-mail (<80k only): tim /at/ birdsnest.maths.tcd.ie
> tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

I don't recall whether the medical network requested the mac id (someone
else put in the request when I started in the department 3 years ago).
This was NEVER a problem until I installed Fedora 8 (I went from Fedora
6 to Fedora 8 so I don't know what would happen under Fedora 7). Unless
I turn off NetworkManager, kill wpa_supplicant and nm-applet, the laptop
will connect to the medical wired network using DHCP and it will be
assigned an IP address that differs from the static IP address I was
given. I can access the Internet but cannot access certain resources
like my e-mail via an Exchange server, or the Windows network. I can
only access these resources if I use my static IP address.

When I go back to the office tomorrow I will call IT and see if they
have my MAC address.

Rick