Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Juan Carlos Castro y Castro jcastro at instant.com.br
Wed Mar 12 17:09:55 UTC 2008

Todd Zullinger escreveu:
> Tom Diehl wrote:
>
>> I have NM working on my laptop but when I boot it does not start
>> automatically.  I have to start it manually. It is enabled in
>> chkconfig. Once it is running the wireless works mostly. It
>> sometimes drops the connection but telling NM to reconnect gets the
>> connection working again. The card is madwifi.
>>

> What does "chkconfig --list NetworkManager; chkconfig --list network"
> output?  I believe you want to see this:
>
> NetworkManager  0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
> network         0:off   1:off   2:off   3:off   4:off   5:off   6:off
>
> This should get a little easier in F9, since NetworkManager should run
> by default[1] and the network init script will not.  So the default
> should make it much easier for people to follow John's suggestion to
> try NM first.

I have both NetworkManager and network autostarting, but the wireless
entry in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts is set to ONBOOT=no. Both
wireless and eth0 work peachy. I will certainly keep it that way when I
upgrade to F9+.

As an aside, the native Fedora driver for my Atheros (Acer Aspire 5570Z)
didn't work. I had to blacklist the module and install madwifi from Livna.