Wireless newbies -- just try NetworkManager!

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Fri Mar 14 00:49:50 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I don't think John Linville's "Just do what I say,
> and don't ask questions" is an adequate substitute.

This thread was not intended as a "how to deeply understand linux
wireless" document.  It was simply a courteous request from a nice guy
that happens to handle quite a bit of the wireless integration and
kernel hacking for the linux kernel and Fedora.

The idea was to have folks new to wireless try NM first, before going
off and following the many other pieces of advice that float about on
this list and elsewhere on the internet.  And if NM works well, as it
does for a larger and larger number of people and network configs all
the time, then they'd have no real need to delve deeper into the why's
and how's of wireless operation.

Of course, everyone is free to do that if they really want to.  But
many people simply want their network connect to Just Work™.

There's really no need for you to badger John about this.

The cynics are right nine times out of ten.
    -- H. L. Menchen (1880-1956)