Anyone know of good Linux GPS driving map software?

Gene Heskett gene.heskett at verizon.net
Fri Mar 14 13:24:29 UTC 2008

On Friday 14 March 2008, Terry Polzin wrote:
>On Friday 14 March 2008 08:10, Gene Heskett wrote:
>> On Friday 14 March 2008, pursley1 at netscape.net wrote:
>> >I am looking for advice, as part of my migration from Windows, to find a
>> >good replacement for my Delorme Street Atlas program, which only runs in
>> >Windows.  Even though I would prefer to get free open source software,
>> >due to the dependability I need it to have, I am not ruling out
>> >purchasing commercial software for Linux if it needs be.  It is for my
>> >laptop computer for when we need to make road trips.  I have tried a
>> >number of software packages including Navit and others, which crash
>> >easily and a lot, but have yet to find one that even has half the
>> >stability I need.  Any suggestions?
>> >
>> >Bradley
>>
>> google for roadnav, I used it just a few months ago for a 3000 mile trip
>> with the lappy riding in the shotgun seat hooked to my now elderly garmin
>> 12 gps.
>
>Gene,
>
>How much CPU horse power does you "lappy" have I had lousy results with road
>nav with my dell c610.
>
>Terry

Its an HP, dv5120us, amd64 turion runnnig at 1600 when its at full speed, gig
of ram.  But I have to agree, roadnav, with its nearly constant rescanning of
the tiger maps, is a serious cpu hog, and often 20 to 30 seconds behind the
gps.  Not to mention those free TIGER maps from the US Census data aren't all
that accurate.  I also think that when the map follows gps direction is on,
its much worse, but I couldn't find where to turn that off.  I could just as
well have had north at the top of the map, the other modes are confusing when
all you want is how far is it to the next pee stop, at a glance while flying
down the interstate at 75mph.  It takes entirely to long to calculate all
them angles & redraw them.

OTOH, there isn't much else for linux that I'm aware of.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)