Bug backlog - now and future. Some proposals.

max bianco maximilianbianco at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 18:57:12 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 9:41 PM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-03-12 at 14:32 -0400, Jon Stanley wrote:
> > Hear ye, hear ye!  At the BugZappers meeting that occurred today,
> > March 12, 2008, two proposals for dealing with the backlog of bugs,
> > both now and in the future, were discussed.   It was also discussed
> > that this would be another useful forum to solicit feedback from.  Our
> > goal here is not to disenfranchise bug reporters or cause them more
> > work. Instead, it is designed to introduce predictability into the
> > lifecycle of a bug.  This is part of the relaunch of the BugZappers
> > initiative, which I had announced yesterday.  It's important to note,
> > that while you're just now starting to see stuff from us visibly, this
> > has been several months in the making and thought through very
> > thoroughly.
> >
> > These proposals will be presented at the meeting of the Fedora
> > Engineering Steering Committee (FESCo) tomorrow, with a vote to be
> > rendered on 2008-03-20 if necessary, and execution to begin shortly
> > thereafter.  Please feel free to make comments by replying to this
> > e-mail or editing the wiki.  We also hang out in #fedora-qa on
> > freenode (my nick is jds2001), and our mailing list is
> > fedora-test-list at redhat.com for other ways to make contact with us.
> >
> > The purpose of the meeting today was to solicit input on proposals for
> > dealing with the current unmanageable backlog of bugs.
>
> Simple. slow down the cycle of new releases until the previous one is
> stable, while new updates arrive to be tested, as usual. Everyone on the
> list freely contributes what they know, it just takes awhile to catch up
> to you guys and gals.
>
> If at all possible, get the real Java installed if the new licensing
> scheme is finally in place. That alone might quell some of the bugs
> related to Java. My two cents, Ric
>

> --
> Linux user# 44256 Sign up at: http://counter.li.org/
> http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar
> http://www.wayward4now.net  <---down4now too

Personally i think the release cycle is to short. Can someone explain to me
why a new version has to come out every six or seven months? Shouldn't there
be a long term release? I actually don't mind that much but i always
wondered about that, it has got to a major pain in the ass or maybe not but
i'd still like to hear the reasoning behind it.