Bluetooth device display

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sat Mar 15 22:01:56 UTC 2008

I'm trying to interest some Windows folks in Linux, and either there are
no decent tools for Linux, or they are called something which keeps
search engines from finding them. I loaded a bunch of "bluez-" stuff,
but found nothing I would show to a user.

They booted a Windows machine, and it popped up a window called
"bluetooth network," which showed a mouse, a keyboard, a printer, and
two cell phones. And the user clicked the mouse and keyboard, clicked
"use it" from the pull down menu, and had changes to bluetooth from wired.

Two questions: first, is there anything like that in Linux, and what's
it called? These people are NOT going to be told there's a command line
interface if I can help it. And second, if the user had clicked "use it"
on a cell phone, what does that mean? Can I send text messages directly
to Bill Gates? Corporate hq in Redmond? God?

I didn't offer to demonstrate bluetooth tools, happily they didn't ask.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>