Evolution (again)

Sur surdemir at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 17 09:03:08 UTC 2008

* Gene Heskett wrote, On 03/16/2008 10:54 PM:
> On Sunday 16 March 2008, Sur wrote:
>> * Gene Heskett wrote, On 03/16/2008 05:48 PM:

>>> In my case it was in Settings-->Preferred Applications.  One menu item in
>>> 2 screens full.
>> Well, you do have Gnome (and its control-center) installed then.
>> Menus get polluted when you install multiple desktops, you need to deal
>> with that.
>> What you did was simply what the previous poster suggested.
>
> Yes, I suppose gnome is installed, when dealing with fedora you get it even if
> you specifically request at install time that it use KDE, and even uncheck
> the gnomish stuff (which got pulled back in by dependencies on every little
> thing), and even then it set gnome as the default and then did not install
> switchdesk, so I had to do that too before I could make kde work.  I don't
> like gnome and its difficulty in accessing a shell to do some command line
> work, and its constant popups nagging me about perms.  I use KDE by choice
> because all that is easily done with kde.  That said, I can find a shell to
> do usefull work in on my Kubuntu machine, and I don't see why fedora has to
> make that little detail so damnededly frustrating in their version of gnome.
>
> So don't get me started on the politics of gnome vs kde, cuz I'll make enemies
> in high places if I do.  Been there, done that, got told to go piss off.  So
> I don't post nearly as often as I know the answers to someones questions,
> mainly cuz I got tired of having my known to be working advice countermanded
> by fedora people cuz it doesn't fit their 'agenda'.
>
> That said, when the clues were followed, I did get it fixed, thanks.  Why its
> seperated from the kcontrol stuff, where it really should be IMO, only those
> speaking as fedora can tell me.

You're using some beta software, not even part of the std. repos, and
bashing into Fedora when it does not work as you know it.
Apparently, FF is undergoing changes and hopefully things will settle
and be documented when finally released.
Your other, vague complaints point to your confusion at very elementary
concepts. I reckon your frustrations will only grow unless you resolve it.
You really haven't stated anything reasonable to make enemies, so don't
worry about that.