grep package dependencies

Mark Haney mhaney at ercbroadband.org
Mon Mar 17 20:38:36 UTC 2008

What's up with grep and it's package dependencies?  I am (belatedly)
trying to clear up old FC7 packages on my upgraded F8 box and wanted to
clear out the FC7 grep package.  So, just for giggles I ran 'yum remove
grep' and nearly every package on this box is dependent on it.  WTF?  I
know grep is an important package (one of the most important ones,
IMHO), but isn't that a little extreme?

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support