Semi-transparent box on desktop

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 00:48:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-03-18 at 09:25 -0400, max bianco wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2008 at 1:38 AM, Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>         On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 22:16 -0400, David Boles wrote:
>         > Ric Moore wrote:
>         > > On Mon, 2008-03-17 at 00:48 -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>         > >> Frank Cox wrote:
>         > >>> I just noticed that if you left-click on your Gnome
>         desktop, hold the
>         > >>> button down and move the mouse, you create a little
>         semi-transparent box on
>         > >>> your desktop.  It goes away as soon as you release the
>         mouse button.
>         > >>>
>         > >>> What is that for, if anything at all?
>         > >> It is a selection 'lasso' that should select any icons
>         that you
>         > >> encompass.  Then you can do any of the usual things that
>         you can do to
>         > >> selected icons - drag, copy, delete, etc.  Most other
>         windows should
>         > >> work the same way.
>         > >
>         > > Coolness! It works in KDE, too. Ric
>         >
>         > This is a joke post right? A 'funny' post ? A 'pull my leg'
>         post? Maybe
>         > even a 'giggle together in secret' post?
>         >
>         > "a selection 'lasso'"?? You are all joking here right?
>

>         Well, didja try it?? It's not so much a lasso as it is a
>         rectangle, but
>         the simile remains the same. Of course SOME of us don't mess
>         with
>         Winders :P all the time, so "lassos" are kinda a cool thing to
>         play with
>         when dinking with X-winders, if you've never seen such a
>         thing. Give it
>         a whirl! Yahoo!
>
>         Next, I'm gonna have Jethro to teach me to cipher, out by the
>         concrete
>         swimmin' hole. Cuzin Ric
>

> I thought this  post was a joke too.  No offense but i did not think
> there was anyone using a computer today that didn't know you could
> grab multiple objects like that, i am glad everyone is so thrilled , a
> rare enough occurrence around here, but this is pretty basic
> functionality. I would never have guessed it would cause so much
> excitement.

That's why the quip about learning to cipher next. Heck, check out my
Linux user #, it's not like I just got introduced to computers last
week. But, during the infrequent sojourns into the land of konqueror,
I'd hit the shift key and click on a bunch of icons to either move or
copy, ya know?

I'm sure I've seen the click and drag sometime in the past, but it
didn't stick into the frontal lobe as little time as I spend not using a
terminal window. Evidently Frank didn't know it either, so at least I'm
not alone in the issue. :) Hard core command line users can be surprised
and in my case, *delighted*, to see a pet trick to play with! There's
always a first time!

Be happy for me too! <drooling and grinning> Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar