Blender update bombs

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 03:36:46 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-19 at 11:01 +0100, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:56:57 -0400, Ric Moore wrote:
>
> > I just installed the update to blender and when I launch it, either from
> > command line or from KDE, my desktop folds up like a house of cards,
> > back to graphical login. ld claimed to not recognize the file structure,
> > but, upon examination it is a shell script to initially setup the
> > ~/.blender files. I see nothing in it to start an executable, once done.
> > blender-bin also blows up from command line and blenderplayer comes up
> > with a pile of command line options. Has anyone else seen this problem??
> > Ric
> >

> The frequent version upgrades of Fedora packages force users to keep an
> eye on the updates-testing repository and report any problems with updates
> in bugzilla [1] and bodhi [2] as soon as possible. One thing still holds
> true for Fedora: some packages in updates-testing are not tested at all
> until they are pushed to the stable repository.

I wouldn't touch updates-testing with a 10 foot pole. I don't believe I
wrote anything about update-testing, as a matter of fact. This was just
a "yum update blender" action, as I noted in my post. So, that dealt
with, is there anything I can do further to gather some sort of data
other than it blows up X? I'm not seeing anything related to it
in /var/log/messages or dmesg or anywhere else through the logs using
grep. If anyone is familiar with blender, is there something I can add
to the command to force a debug write to a file?? Then I could post a
decent bugzilla report. Update got me blender-2.45-10.fc7

I'm running fc7 and kernel 2.6.23.15-80.fc7. There is no man page for
blender, the doc file has no manual other than the python stuff. If
there is a missing depend, it did not include itself in the update. So,
I'd rather collect some sort of relevant data first, before a bug
report. Again, just reporting that it blew up would be, IMHO, lame.

Thanks for any assist, Ric

http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/oar