gtkpod -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Thu Mar 20 12:54:33 UTC 2008

Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> Unless I'm completely misunderstanding your situation, there's no need
> to do that. You can just drag a single song (or album, or selected group
> etc.) to the ipod. Then hit the "Save Changes" button and you're set.
>
> In fact this is the standard way of uploading to the ipod from gtkpod.
> There is no function equivalent to "synchronize my ipod with my
> computer", which is why it took me a while to understand it. The various
> places in the interface that mention "synchronize" are talking about
> synchronizing the internal gtkpod database with the various data
> sources, such as your music folders on the computer. Totally non-obvious
> IMHO but it works once you get used to it.
>
> poc

Ok, thanks for the tip, I will try that when next I get my hands on an
iPod.  I believe there is a fourth one with  bad display or something
that I may be able to locate when the kids come in from school this
afternoon.  I should be able to mess with that without worry!

Bear in mind that I have never used one of the devices and am not
familiar with their operation, they are mainly an annoyance since it's
hard to communicate with a kid with those things in his ears.  It's
mainly an interesting thing to examine and experiment with ...  And I
would like to demonstrate that I can manipulate it without Windows!

The next logical step would be to transfer the iPod files from my Linux
computers to their XP box.  Yet another project appears ...

BobG