How to fix two disks with the same Volume Group?

Luciano Rocha strange at nsk.no-ip.org
Thu Mar 20 14:00:51 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 01:51:53PM +0000, Luciano Rocha wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 08:46:41AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
> >  Luciano Rocha wrote:
> > > But I do use the hostname as the VG, so I think that's best, probably
> > > with current date appended (like: hostname080320).
> >
> >  That doesn't sound particularly unique to me.  If you set up a dual/multi
> >  boot machine you'll probably want it to have the same hostname regardless of
> >  the boot choice, and you are likely to install the whole thing in the same
> >  day.
>
> I wasn't talking of changing the hostname to include the date, but of
> changing the VG to include the hostname *and* the date.

Sorry, I didn't parse your message correctly.

Usually, you'd want to use the same VG for both installs. Otherwise, the
VG name will have to include a sequential number, and then be dependent
of installing with any other VG available.

Then we'd have: hostnameYYMMDDseqseq

The bigger it gets, the uglier it gets, but I don't see a solution
besides forcing the definition of the name by the user. That way, at
least the fault would reside completely with the user. ;)

VolGroup00/LogVol00 just isn't pretty, useful or conflict-free.

--
lfr
0/0