NFS/SAMBA shares

Nicholas Robinson npr at bottlehall.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 14:54:32 UTC 2008

On Saturday 22 March 2008 12:25:30 max wrote:
> Tim wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-03-21 at 14:03 -0400, max bianco wrote:
> >> of course turning off the firewall does nothing to resolve the issue.
> >> I cannot transfer files of any kind from one computer to another. I
> >> have set SELinux to permissive but no luck.
> >
> > You might want to give more specifics of what you're doing.  "NFS/SAMBA
> > shares" sounds rather like you're hoping to access one through the
> > other, which has its problems.  Sharing a shared resource doesn't always
> > work.
>
> I set up an NFS share and a samba share. Neither works and i don't see
> any reason they shouldn't. Everything is in place or so i think. I 'll
> figure it out sooner or later.  Sharing files was no problem before but
> now no matter what i try i cannot access the shares. My samba share
> shows up on the network but when i access it , i get a message telling
> me it cannot find the folder and perhaps its been deleted. I can't think
> of what i might have forgotten to do, it seems like it should work and
> it doesn't. I can't share my public files either. They show up on the
> network but i don't get an error or anything, the folder simply does not
> open from a remote machine. I tried disabling the firewall but i still
> get nothing. Anyone got a checklist? I don't think fedora is
> broken(though that may be the case) i think i have screwed up but for
> the life of me i cannot figure out what it is. Checklist anyone?
>
> Max

Hi

Just set up something similar myself in the last few weeks as part of a
migration from xp client to fedora client network.

NFS: Presumably you've tried showmount -e to check that your server thinks it
is exporting something in the first place?

SAMBA: have you tried smbclient from your server shell to check you can login
to samba - again making sure that there is something there for your clients
to connect to.

HTH

Nick