Installing Fedora 8 on Intel Core Duo

Giulio Troccoli giulio.troccoli at tiscali.co.uk
Sat Mar 22 15:36:52 UTC 2008

I have just bought a new PC which I am going to use as a server. I have
been using Fedora Core 5 on the old one for about 5 years and I was very
happy with it. I am also using Fedora 8 on my laptop and I'm very happy
with it.

The installation goes very well, I've got all the screens and I choose
what to install and what not. Mind you, at this point the server is NOT
yet connected to the router (if that makes a different). After the
installation has finished it ask to reboot, to which of course I say
yes. But the boot hangs, or so it seems.

I've got the text output up to the point when it says "Starting udev".
with one error maybe. The message "dmi_save_oem_string_devices: out of
memory" appears. Then the screen goes black (and actually the monitor's
light goes yellow, like there wasn't any signal). Nothing seems to bring
it back to live.

I've read that maybe I should use Fedora 7 instead of 8. As I said I
have been using Fedora 8 on my laptop for some time with no trouble at
all. But then again, it's a Pentium Centrino not a Dual Core.

Any help?

Giulio