flash crash in firefox on youtube

Paul Johnson pauljohn32 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 25 05:16:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 5:32 PM, Patrick <fedora-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> Paul Johnson wrote:
>  > On my 2 Fedora 8 systems, I have this problem today for the first
>  > time. In Firefox, while browsing youtube, my system will crash when
>  > opening flv files.  Generally, I can view one show, and then when I
>  > click another one, the whole browser disappears.  It does not lock up
>  > at all, it just dies. It does not affect any other programs.
>
>  I see the same crash consistently on my laptop running F8 i386 with
>  firefox-2.0.0.12-1.fc8.i386
>  flash-plugin-9.0.115.0-release.i386
>  libflashsupport-000-0.1.svn20070904.i386
>
>  Don't know if it is related but I saw similar random crashes with
>  mplayer. Googling around I read that those crashes were caused by a race
>  in pulseaudio in alsa. Once I added the patch to mplayer and rebuilt it,
>  it no longer crashes. Perhaps the crashing with flv files is also caused
>  by a pulseaudio bug in alsa.
>
>  Regards,
>  Patrick

In this thread,

It is suggested that this cures the flash-crashes-firefox problem.

# mkdir /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped
# ln -s /usr/lib/flash-plugin/libflashplayer.so
/usr/lib/mozilla/plugins-wrapped/libflashplayer.so

I did it. No more crashes.

Can somebody explain to me what it means?  What is "plugins-wrapped"
and why does linking the libflashplayer.so in there, instead of just
in "plugins", make a difference?

pj

--
Paul E. Johnson