Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Bradley Pursley pursley001 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 25 11:44:05 UTC 2008

Valent Turkovic wrote:
> http://www.mjmwired.net/linux/2008/02/11/fedora-makes-a-terrible-server/
>
> What is your experience ?
>
> Cheers,
> Valent.
My main concern / problem is that it doesn't seem like the updates are
very well tested thereby *CAUSING* crashes, lockups, etc.  Until this
lack of concern is fixed, I would not recommend Fedora for servers.
Something that might help is by allowing updates to be undone
automatically if there is a problem and then to "lock out" that update
from being applied again until the next generation of that update comes
out.

Another problem I've noticed is that when new software is being
installed, there are no tests done to verify that it installed and is
working correctly, which has been a big problem on my system.  I've had
to manually "fix" quite a number of the installs and sometimes when it
updates the software, it undoes my fixes and I have to re-apply the fix
again, which is highly aggravating.  Updates should not automatically
mess with the configuration files, especially if they've been manually
changed, unless it prompts the system user and gives you the option of
whether you want the updated file or just want to adjust the current
one.  For programming, this would be easy to implement without changing
packaging requirements (don't overwrite older non-executable files, just
rename them or move them to a "backup" location and advise user of the
change).

Just my ten cents worth.

Bradley