Fedora Makes a Terrible Server?

Albert Graham agraham at g-b.net
Tue Mar 25 16:21:07 UTC 2008

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Albert Graham wrote:
>>
>> I have installed hundreds of servers using Fedora and I have to say
>> I've had very few problems, kernel issues are not really the fault of
>> the Fedora team, sometimes you hit quirks but these do get sorted out.
>
> How many years have you maintained these servers and how much damage
> does downtime cause?

None, as they are almost all clustered/load balanced/redundant.
Originally I was using RH 2.1 then 3, however, I found myself constantly
upgrading components because RH did not want to break "version"
compatibility for 5 years, which in my eyes is worse than binary
compatibly - Moores law and all that! so Fedora suits me down to the ground.

The only real issue is a stable kernel for your requirements, everything
else is less important, also I have a habit of running everything in
user-space so it's a lot easier to virtualize or switch out the
underlying OS if required.

Albert.