nvidia driver breaks with pretty much every F8 update

Claude Jones cjones at levitjames.com
Tue Mar 25 18:03:35 UTC 2008

On Tuesday March 25 2008 12:37:07 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
> All very well and no doubt true Claude.  But when I installed
> this dkms thing, it came with zero docs, and several questions
> posted here were ignored.  Now, its entirely possible that
> dkms is smarter than the script I wrote, but without any setup
> insructions its just not worth the storage space.  So I wrote
> my own, called at the end of rc.local:

I remember your situation. Yours is a bit different than most
users and thus, hard for me to comment on. You run as root and
you roll your own kernels, for starters - whether the DKMS
script and the nVidia packages from freshrpms were designed, or
can take advantage of every nuance in your environment is
impossible for me to say.

I was reacting to the posters declaiming about being stuck having
to roll his own modules after every kernel update. If I missed
any nuance in his situtation, I apologize. For many users, the
scenario as I described it works just fine. I'm going on three
years on six different machines with very different hardware in
this mode, with almost zero problems except the one time I
noted.

I've never had to 'setup' DKMS. I simply install the nVidia
driver from freshrpms, and that request pulls DKMS as a
dependency or whatever, and after that, it just works. So, my
experience has been far different than yours.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA