Raid Card controller for FC System

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Wed Mar 26 15:34:26 UTC 2008

Joe Tseng wrote, On 03/26/2008 10:37 AM:
> I saw a few people respond with saying how hardware RAID is overkill for
> home use.  I had the system drive in my RH9 RAID1 file server at home
> die on me last year; although I got a new drive and FC6 recognised the
> RAID immediately I'm not sure whether my recovery was due to software
> resilency or dumb luck.  I'm currently working on gathering parts for a
> RAID5 file server as a replacement.
>
> 1) If a RAIDed drive dies in a soft RAID setup can I assume I can't do a
> hotswap?
based on my limited information, I would say soft RAID only has a _chance_ of
doing hotswap if the hardware connected to it can do hotswap.  however I don't
know if md supports "hotswap" or even being told "stop using the drive
temporarily so I can turn it off in hardware and swap it".
> 2) If my system drive dies again would a new system recognize my RAID5
> array?
That is the beauty of soft raid under Linux, as long as the RAID5 routines
remain the same the new kernel can use them.
> 3) Does soft RAID5 compare favorably against hware RAID5?

Remember, at it's heart all RAID 5 is software.
in general:
hardware raid = controller card/box with a built in CPU doing all the RAID
calculations and spreading the data across buses and drives.
software raid = main CPU of the system doing all the RAID calculations and
spreading the data across buses and drives.
Difference = your main CPU can be used for other things if you have hardware
to offload the job to.
  however seeing as most "hardware RAID" uses a very small/slow CPU, your main
CPU may not notice the extra load of software RAID. :)

And some true hardware raid solutions still have problems, see my pain:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/aic7xxx/2005-October/004274.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/aic7xxx/2005-August/004259.html
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/aic7xxx/2004-July/004160.html

--