What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Arthur Pemberton pemboa at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 19:15:22 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:29 PM, Ian Chapman
<packages at amiga-hardware.com> wrote:
> Arch Willingham wrote:
>
>  > I'm not trying to start a battle of which is better…just trying to get
>  > an idea of why its seems so popular.
>
>  Well something else to throw into the pot along with the other answers,
>  on several occasions I've heard Ubuntu fans cite the fact it doesn't use
>  rpm (ubuntu uses deb) as one of the main reasons they use it because
>  they don't like the "dependency hell" of rpm. Personally I think that
>  view is at best outdated but each to their own. :-)

It's a ridiculous view point as in terms of dependencies rpms and debs
are almost equivalent. Both are capable of causing dep problems. The
only major diff that I am aware of is that devs have a concept of soft
deps for optional packages

( www.pembo13.com )