What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Ian Chapman packages at amiga-hardware.com
Wed Mar 26 19:50:40 UTC 2008

Arthur Pemberton wrote:

>>  Well something else to throw into the pot along with the other answers,
>>  on several occasions I've heard Ubuntu fans cite the fact it doesn't use
>>  rpm (ubuntu uses deb) as one of the main reasons they use it because
>>  they don't like the "dependency hell" of rpm. Personally I think that
>>  view is at best outdated but each to their own. :-)
>>
> It's a ridiculous view point as in terms of dependencies rpms and debs
> are almost equivalent.

Well I've never extensively used any deb based distro but then I've been
pretty stuck with RH and friends for about that last 10 years since
starting out with RH 5.1 rough cuts on an Amiga of all things :) But I
must admit, I never really understood that viewpoint as yum has
basically eliminated "dependency hell" and wondered what was magically
different about deb.

--
Ian Chapman.