What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Bruce Byfield bbyfield at axion.net
Wed Mar 26 20:07:23 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-03-26 at 19:50 +0000, Ian Chapman wrote:

> But I
> must admit, I never really understood that viewpoint as yum has
> basically eliminated "dependency hell" and wondered what was magically
> different about deb.

The reason for the confusion is that the supposed superiority of .DEBs
wasn't just the software, but the strict packaging policies and testing
of Debian, which historically were far more rigid than most
distributions', no matter what package system they used. You can still
see the difference today if you compare Ubuntu to Debian; generally
speaking, Debian's packages in official releases still have far fewer
problems.

In my experience, Fedora packages fare reasonably well compared to
Debian's, especially since the merge of the Core and Extras
repositories. I would say that Debian has an edge over Fedora, but that
may reflect the bias inherent in the fact that I've used Debian much
longer than Fedora.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
Burnaby, BC, Canada