What's all the hype over Ubuntu?

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Fri Mar 28 01:12:18 UTC 2008

Da Rock wrote:

>> If the answers to the problems are found on ubuntu web pages doesn't that
>> mean the problems also exist in ubuntu?  If ubuntu handled the problem
>> directly then there would be no point in asking how to do it...  :-)
>>
>> Do the results/resolution to the problem translate to other distros or are
>> they specific to ubuntu?
>
> Actually 90% of the time they do correlate. If Ubuntu does nothing else,
> it does help newbies work out linux- even on other distros. If the user
> gets stuck trying to work out how to sort it on their own distro they
> can can get (although usually curt, hence why they would ask Ubuntu) a
> response from the distro's team of players.

With all of the above being the case then I venture to say that the appeal
of ubuntu is not based on its technical merits.  I do know that if I were
going to start playing tennis again (or even when I was young enough to
start tennis for the first time) I would feel intimidated joining a group
that included Rodger Sampras.  I get the feeling that has much to do with
ubuntu's popularity.  Also, in general, given no clear reason people will
stick with what they know and once they know a distro they will stick with it.

>> FWIW, I have ubuntu installed on a VM and do play with it from time to time.
>>   Probably need more time to learn its quarks.  But the one thing I noticed
>> is that the folks on their mailing lists, IMHO, tend to be greener than
>> average and the amount of bad advice or misinformation is greater than other
>> lists that have insufferable geeks.  :-)
>
> This is true as well, but the Ubuntu lists appear to have real techs
> roving the lists to fix issues.

I think you will find that true of all the lists of the major distros.

> Love it or hate it, Ubuntu does appear to be here to stay, and it does
> appear to be doing some good in the war against M$ as many (even
> hardcore) M$ users will at least try it out for usability. My personal
> opinion is to put complete newbies on it so they're not thrown in the
> deep end- at least they have floaties! ;) Once they've gained their feet
> then put them on something more reliable and stable. I find Ubuntu is
> not as stable or functional as other linux distros, but easier to use.
> It is of course far more stable than Windows at least- and
> tougher/solid- while offering pretty much the same functionality they're
> used to.

Linux is like religion.  There is room in this world for all.  Except, of
course, those that feel it is their mission to stamp out all others.  :-)

> Ok I'm done. Hope I don't start something with this- I tend to agree
> with the sentiment that this could get ugly here.

If not ugly, at least OT when it comes to talking about fedora issues.