Where's the bluetooth jargon demystifier?

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Sat Mar 29 11:30:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:03:28 +0000 (UTC)
Mike  <mike.cloaked at gmail.com> wrote:

> I also realised I had not used my BT mouse on my F8 laptop, and am in the
> same boat as you guys!

As near as I can tell, the theory is that hidd is obsolete and the
new InputService does the job. I accidentally stumbled across a
wiki page that gave an example of some dbus gibberish used to
feed the input service various info: http://wiki.bluez.org/wiki/Input
(I've rarely seen such dense gibberish :-).

My impression is also that the gnome-bluetooth stuff is supposed to
know how to talk to this thing, but the gui for bluetooth preferences
is barely less cryptic than the wiki page.

By using the gnome utility in combination with manually running
hidd --search and taking the back off the keyboard to get to the
button I need to push to make it connect, I finally got the input
service to record some files in the /var/lib/bluetooth tree, but
even with the files there, I still don't get the keyboard automatically
reconnected on a reboot - I still need to run hidd --search and
push the button.

It works much better with the logitech dongle that simply make it look
like a USB keyboard, but unfortunately X or the linux USB layer
or something doesn't recognize the mouse protocol, so the touchpad
will only work with the bluetooth adapter.

So right now my choices are: No mouse, or no auto connection.