OT?: Now mysteriously have a hostname defined

Fennix cn.stefan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 30 21:44:28 UTC 2008

I noticed today in my terminal window I now have a host name of "bogon".  I
had never set a hostname for my Fedora8 home system.  I can see from my
logwatch and cron system mails that the delivery to this host name started
March 25th but none of my mails shows anything that seems relevant to what
has set this hostname.  Oddly on the 26th the system mails were addresses
again to localhost.localdomain but again reverted on the 27th to being
addresses to bogon.  I have checked the man pages on the hostname command to
locate where the name is defined.  Have checked the files /etc/host,
/etc/hosts.conf, /etc/hostname (does not exist), /etc/nsswitch.conf, ... but
this name does not show in any of the files I have looked at so far.  Any
ideas where to look further?  I am now wondering whether my system has been
compromised somehow...  Googleing the word bogon shows me the meaning of of
bogon which does not seem helpful in this case.

Checking /var/log/messages-20080330 shows the use of this hostname with a
reboot I had done on the 24th.  Still cannot see where or how this was set.

fennix