Linux, Vista dual boot

Ian Malone ibmalone at gmail.com
Mon Mar 31 20:04:03 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 19:54 -0400, Mike Burger wrote:
>> Last I checked, NTFS support in the Linux kernel was, basically, read
>> only...how do you share the data partition so easily?
>>
> The abboive uis not true. Just install ntfs-3g and a ntfs file system
> can be mounted-read write.

Well it is true: ntfs-3g is a user space file-system, not a kernel one.
  It's a minor point, but someone looking for kernel support could
easily conclude there's no ntfs read-write.

Aside: it's amazing how quickly ntfs-3g has become accepted, after years
of slow kernel development.  Ultimately it was built using knowledge
acquired by the kernel project; but it's also a FUSE success story, as
the developers had always suggested that achieving enough stability to
go in the kernel was too high a hurdle.

--
imalone