Fedora Desktop future- RedHat moves

Da Rock rock_on_the_web at comcen.com.au
Thu May 1 02:45:38 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:43 +0930, Tim wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-05-01 at 11:50 +1000, Da Rock wrote:
> > I don't agree with that- flash is well overused on the web by web
> > developers too lazy to do a job the right way so that everyone can use
> > it. That said, if ogg is supposed to be OSS, then that would meant
> > that windows users could view it, and I would think that Mac users
> > could too- so there you have it: a better solution. Just requires a
> > little more thought.
>
> Though that's putting the shoe on the other foot.  Now, it's the hapless
> Windows user, who typically would have no idea how to add ogg support to
> their box, who's got to figure out how to view something.
>
> One reason that you won't get widespread support for open systems, like
> ogg, is that those who develop such things don't want to support digital
> rights management (i.e. letting outsiders control what the user can and
> cannot do), and content suppliers typically want to control what you can
> do (e.g. they stream audio/video so that you can watch it, but you can't
> save it - which makes dial-up viewing next to impossible).  Content
> suppliers will use something else that suits them, and damn the users.
>
> Whilst there are restrictions on Flash, and hazards with using it, it
> will have the largest user base, already, for being able to simply view
> something non-static in the web browser.
>
> I just had a very quick search around, and I couldn't see a way to add
> ogg viewing to MSIE (e.g. theora).  Sure, I can add things so that I can
> play ogg vorbis audio files in a player, but not view embedded content.
> And embedded content is what most suppliers want to use.
>
> Theora would need quite a bit of improvement, too.  All of the ogg
> theora videos that I have seen have looked really crappy video quality.

Actually its quite simple to allow mediaplayer to use the ogg codec, and
a link would make it easy for them to install and use. As for static
content- they really need to just get over it. But failing that, then
why not stream? Come what may a user will always find a way to save it
if they really want to.