Remote Desktop on FC8

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu May 1 17:09:41 UTC 2008

Mark Haney wrote:

>>    I know I can log in (locally) to my FC8 system, and enable the
>> remote desktop, walk to another machine and use vnc to pull it up.
>> However, how can I make it so it's done automatically without me
>> having to manually do it each time (and it remains persistent across
>> reboots as well).  Basically this will be a headless machine, and I'll
>> be using vnc elsewhere to access it's desktop.
>>

> Um, just for giggles, why not just export X over SSH? Is there a reason
> that won't work for you?

It's generally annoying to have your session killed when your connection
  breaks for any reason.  Someone else suggested vncserver which will
work but I'd recommend freenx with the NX client on the other end.
Either of these will let you reconnect to running sessions.  Also note
that these approaches aren't the same as desktop sharing since they run
in different sessions than the console but that's not likely to matter
on a headless box.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com