Liberation Fonts & Font-Mapping 101

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 8 12:33:28 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-05-08 at 13:16 +0930, Tim wrote:
> I've got to go through this sort of thing, myself.  But haven't got
> organised yet.

I spent a ridiculous amount of time experimenting with this, today.  I'm
not saying that to make you feel bad, I had my own motivations for
messing with this.  I'd tried out some handwriting style font called
BrettFont that stupidly proclaims it's also Times New Roman, so any page
that called for that Times font was getting this very hard to read font,
instead.

I don't know what's up with Firefox, but it seems to play by its own
rules regarding using a font when it's told to use a substitute for
what's not available.

I had it working, then it stopped.  Further fiddling around on Ubuntu
with the same files, and it works.  I'll attach my test HTML page, and
my ~/.fonts.conf file.

I usually don't care too much for using the fonts pages have tried to
pick for me, but for one thing:  Bad webmastering that's specified a
monospaced font in a stupid way (e.g. they've played with font tags,
instead of using a pre element), then written something expecting that
it will be rendered using a monospaced fontface.  It's useful to be able
to untangle such messes.

I read messages from the public lists.