Samba users - upgrade

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Fri May 9 18:25:50 UTC 2008

Bob Hartung wrote:
> Hi all,
>   I have a running install of Redhat 8 that is about to be upgraded.
> There is a complex Samba share with users set up my someone else and I
> am new to Samba.  I have a couple of questions.
>
> 2.  Does every user with acces to the Samba share have to have an
> account on the machine proper or can this be accomplished within Samba?

You can have a Samba account without a Linux account, but it takes
extra work. You have to define the user/group to use with the
share(s) you give access to that do not have a local account. (I
believe you can also use network authorization, but I have never
used it.)

You can also map one or more Samba users to a Linux user using the
smbusers file.

Mikkel