FC9 and KDE sound issues

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 11 18:52:56 UTC 2008

While I normally run GNOME, I did want to try KDE under the latest beta
to see if there were any issues. Unfortunately there are two, the first
is that if you select KFE one, for trial, it becomes your default
environment forever, and two, KDE won't run without sound hardware, it
just pops up an endless barrage of messages, one saying ALSA can't work
changing to PulseAudio, and one saying PulseAudio can't work changing to
ALSA. And they go on forever, or at least ten minutes worth at 20+/min,
when I rebooted.

If I wanted PA running I would have run it, and I don't, because there
is no sound hardware on the machine and I really don't want to try and
find applications which run with PA, I like what I have. When I get to
play again I will remove PA from my machine and see if that allows use
of KDE, since KDE doesn't notice that there is no sound hardware, and no
sound drivers.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>