Lost fc7 boot loader

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Mon May 12 23:13:08 UTC 2008

Vincent Onelli writes:

> I finally realize that should be entered for the install device, so I
> repeated
> the all process for the device I entered /dev/sda which went through fine,
> and appears that regenerated the boot loader.
> When boot it came up with the 3 selection just like was originally 2 line
> for fc7 and 1 line for windows, windows is OK fc7 give me the following
> message:
> root (hd0,1)
> filesystem type unknown
> partition type 0xf  kernel  /vmlinuz-2.6.23.15-80.fc7 r0
> root=/dev/volGroup00/ rhgb quite
> error 17: cannot mount selected partition.
>
> I appreciate very much if any one can help me on this.
> thank you so much in advance.
> >
> I posted the above message which I received confirmation but no answer
> yet. Am I to assume that there is no know solution to my problem? If such
> is the case, I will appreciate if some body will let me know thus I
> proceed with a new reinstallation. I was hoppening to some how with your
> help to recover the data files.

Your root partition setting is busted.

Boot the rescue disk again. When you drop into the rescue shell, run the
"mount" command. Look at the device path that /mnt/sysimage is mounted
under. Edit grub.conf and put that path for the "root" option.

Since you can boot the rescue disk and access your partition, your data can
be recovered. It's just a matter of figuring out the correct boot setting.