Fedora 9 install troubles - big

Fluffy The Vampire fluffy.vampire at gmail.com
Tue May 13 21:34:17 UTC 2008

Hello,

Today I decided to install Fedora 9 (64-bit) on my system. It wasn't a
good experience as it refused to work... Here's my story:

1) downloaded the 64bit ISO and burnt it to a dvd
2) booted the dvd and the graphical installer never came up. X said it
detected my video card correctly (Nvidia Geforce 8800 GTS 360 MB) and
then all I got was a black screen. No response anymore, had to reboot.
3) rebooted and chose text based install instead. This installed fine
with the default partioning Fedora suggested (expect swap - see below)
however after installing grub and rebooting grub just hung. I get a
black text screen that says GRUB and that's it. No more response whatsoever.

So I had to reboot with my XP SP3 CD to do a fixmbr to get back to my pc.

Here's my system:

- Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 CPU @ 3.00 GHz
- 8 GB RAM (PC800) @ 333 Mhz bus speed (1:1)
- GA-965P-DS3P (rev. 2.0) motherboard with i965 chipset
- Western Digital 150GB 16MB SATA150 10000RPM Raptor (/dev/sda) =>
Windows XP + /swap (5GB)
- Maxtor 300GB 16MB SATA150 7200RPM (/dev/sdb) => Fedora 9, /boot 200 MB
and / rest of the drive with LVM
- Western Digital 160GB-YS 16MB SATA300 HD (/dev/sdc) => Windows Vista
64 bit Business
- Soundblaster X-Fi OEM (but I'm using on-board audio in Linux)

Funny thing is that during install GRUB didn't recognise Vista and only
offered Fedora 9 and XP as possible OS's to boot.

Oh and FC8 did work on it :/.

Any ideas what could be causing this and how I should solve this?

Thanks a million!

Wim Cos

P.S.: forgive the stupid nick, it's my spam collectors box