Advice Please: Fedora 9, Amd Phenom 9600, Nvidia GeForce 8400 & Virtualization.

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 14 02:09:49 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-05-13 at 18:39 -0400, Nat Gross wrote:
> Also, I think that his main reason for [also] running Windows is multi
> media. If Linux hiccups on any multi media content, he does not have
> the time to search/install etc, simply flip into Windows and do it
> there.

To be blunt, I found multi-media support better with Linux.  Neither
supports everything out-of-the box, both require installation of other
things.  But once you've done that, things "just play".  With Linux, I
could play almost anything with the same program, didn't have to buy
anything to play someone else's files, don't have to worry about media
players executing trojans in media.

There probably are things that work better on Windows, I'm sure
digital-rights-managed media is probably easier.  But I don't play with
such stuff.  And I've come across plenty of things that I just couldn't
manage to get Windows to play, so it's certainly no panacea.

I read messages from the public lists.