fedora 9 annoyance #1: gdm login screen

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Wed May 14 02:17:32 UTC 2008

Up till now, Fedora has been the only distro I've tried
that didn't have this problem, with fedora 9, the problem
shows up - now everyone has the same disease :-(.

The GDM login screen is being anal-retentive about interpreting
the EDID information provided by the monitor via the X server.

I'm using a 42 inch 1920x1080 HD TV as a monitor. If you do the
math, you find this comes out to 52 dots per inch.

When it selects a font of the requested point size, that winds up
with a pixel size of somewhere between 3 and 5 :-). Needless to
say, the fonts are almost totally unreadable.

Someone should teach gdm to check the computed pixel size
and bump up the point size till there are enough pixels to
render the fonts. Or maybe the login screen should just request
hunge point sizes (after all, it isn't using the space for
anything else anyway).

Of course, the standard gnome desktop has the same problem
as well, but if I squint enough, I can find the preference
setting and tell it to use 96 dpi instead of 52 :-).

P.S. Are the f9 repos not up yet? I also keep getting popus
saying the software source cannot be found.