Service "named" in f9 - problematic

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Wed May 14 14:13:04 UTC 2008

On Wed, 2008-05-14 at 12:47 +0000, Mike C wrote:
> In the previous few releases of Fedora I have found that I needed to
> use system-config-bind to set up the initial set of files for
> bind-chroot and then amend the files in the chrooted environment
> under /var/named/chroot to suit me needs.

I never did that.  What RPMs did you install?

There was a caching nameserver package that set up the basic
configuration for BIND back in FC7 era (I think later releases managed
that without a specific package, as I don't see it in the FC 8 or 9
repositories).

There was a chroot RPM for BIND, that set up the chroot environment.
Without that, it worked un-chrooted.  The last time I set up BIND, as a
client on a laptop, I decided to forgo the chroot.

There's other packages installable that you may or may not need:

bind
bind-chroot
bind-libs
bind-utils
caching-nameserver
system-config-bind

Other than caching-nameserver, I see all those packages in the repos for
Fedora 7, 8, & 9.

--
(This computer runs FC7, my others run FC4, FC5 & FC6, all using Gnome
 in case that's important to the thread.)

I read messages from the public lists.