slow desktop appearance in Fedora 9?

Jack Howarth howarth at bromo.msbb.uc.edu
Wed May 14 15:50:05 UTC 2008

   Is anyone else seeing the following? After an upgrade
install of Fedora 9 x86_64 over Fedora 8 x86_64 (and manually
making certain that all of the packages were upgraded
to Fedora 9 as shown by 'yum list extras'), I find that
the Desktop seems to take a long time to appear when
I login via the gdm greeter. I don't see anything obvious
in messages indicating why this is happening.
                  Jack
ps The Desktop background appears immediately but it takes
a couple of minutes for the menu bar and the Desktop icons
to be displayed.